A fresh start to the new year means lots of fun things to look forward to! For this month’s Obsessions post, I’m sharing interesting and uplifting books to kick off the new year, fun movies and TV shows coming out, and informative articles I’m fascinated with. There are also a few really cool events popping up in Washington, DC this month for any locals that I’ve included in this monthly rundown. I hope you all enjoy!
- In light of the horrific Australian Wildfires,this article gives hope on what you can do to help preserve forests and counter climate change.
- A roundup of The Most Unmissable TV Shows of 2020 – I’m so hyped for all the great TV shows coming out!
- Women outnumber men in the American workforce, for only the second time in history – a really interesting look at both the past and present workforce.
- Further proof why the Metropolitan Museum of Art is my all-time favorite museum – I’m so grateful I was able to see two out of the three Met exhibits mentioned in this article.
- An interesting perspective on The Capitalist Way to Make Americans Stop Eating Meat.
- A fascinating article on why people believe in Hell.
- An encouraging look into how underpaid, overworked assistants in Hollywood are taking a stand against toxic culture.
- January 13-19 is WINTER RESTAURANT WEEK – one of my favorite post-holiday winter activies! It’s a great excuse to return to favorite high-end restaurants for affordable prices or try out new spots. Be sure to book your reservations ASAP because tables fill up quickly!
- January 14 – The Merry Wives of Windsor opens at the Folger Shakespeare Library
- January 17 – FUTURE SKETCHES by Zach Lieberman opens at Artechouse
- January 21-26 – Matthew Bourne’s New Adventures: Swan Lake at the Kennedy Center
Movies and TV Shows
- Ilana Glazer: The Planet Is Burning on Amazon Prime – January 3
- Like a Boss – January 10
- Grace and Frankie season 6 on Netflix – January 15
- The Voyage of Doctor Doolittle – January 17
- Sex Education on Netflix – January 17
- Shrill second season on Hulu – January 24
- The Gentlemen – January 24
- The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina returns to Netflix – January 24
- Next in Fashion premieres on Netflix – January 29
- Ted Bundy: Falling For A Killer premieres on Amazon Prime – January 31
- Signs: The Secret Language of the Universe – such an incredibly uplifting read to kick off the new year. It made me feel more connected and optimistic about the future.
- Talking to Strangers – I’ve been a HUGE Malcolm Gladwell fan since I first read The Tipping Point. This book is incredibly relevant in a time of great social and political divide.
- Delayed Rays of a Star – a beautifully written historical fiction novel that shares the stories of three female pioneers in the film industry.
- The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle – this book was a trip! I’m a huge lover of classic mystery novels and this was unlike anything I’ve ever read before – a combination of Agatha Christie meets Groundhog Day meets time travel.
- The Hero – a fascinating short novel that deep-dives into the etymology of the word, as well as what defines a hero across cultures and centuries.
Happy reading and watching, friends! I hope this provides you with lots of entertainment for cold, dreary January days.