For this month’s installment of my new Obsessions Series, I’m sharing everything I’m loving and looking forward to in August. I’m sharing a few fascinating reads – ranging from political to social to style-focused – and a list of movies out this month that I’m dying to see!
News and Interesting Articles:
- A great article looking at White Nationalism after the release of former President Reagan’s taped comments about African Americans earlier this month.
- Feeling heartbroken about gun violence in America? This article gives a great rundown of how to get active by listing out great organizations to support and how to contact your elected official.
- If you know me, you know I’m a little obsessed with zodiac and horoscope memes. This article delves into why they’re so popular with our generation.
- Does anyone else break out immediately after a hard workout? I’m always fighting against sweat in the summertime, so this article all about workout-adjacent skincare is such a great resource.
- Another great beauty article on how to beat summer issues like frizzy hair and puffy skin.
- Hair getting dried out from all the heat and sun exposure? Here are ways to keep it shiny and healthy.
- Last beauty article all about the coolest indie beauty brands on Amazon!
- Speaking of the fashion world, this NYT article does a breakdown on how Instagram can be great for models and young creatives, but also needs to do more against predators.
- A cool look into the forgotten life of a 16th century female poet!
- Feeling “anniversary” overload this year between the moon landing, stonewall, etc., and a whole host of other iconic celebrations? This article looks into why we’re constantly focused on those 10/25/50 year anniversaries.
- Summer Restaurant Week kicks off from August 12-18! Secure your tables for next week and take advantage of the incredible deals – $22 for lunch and brunch, and $35 for dinner. You can follow along on my insta as I eat my way through Washington and I’ll post a recap of my favorite spots afterwards on the blog!
- The Spy Museum Mission Impossible: Party Protocol kicks off August 9, and I am SO excited to be exploring the new location of one of my favorite museums, after hours, at a spy-themed party!!!
- The Freer Sackler Museum on the mall opens it’s newest exhibit, My Iran: Six Women Photographers, on August 10.
Books, Movies, and TV:
- Where’d you Go Bernadette – I just finished this critically-acclaimed book in time to see the movie that comes out this month. It’s such a fun adventure story that’s perfect for summer!
- Good Omens – what I’m currently reading so I can then watch the new Amazon Prime series!
- Mindhunter – season 2 drops August 16 and I AM READY! This season focuses on the Atlanta Child Murders and will feature Charles Manson!
- Carnival Row – I’m hyped for the August 30 premiere of this fantasy world that’s steampunk meets Sherlock Holmes featuring Orlando Bloom and Cara Delivingne.
I hope this provides you with a dose of inspiration and interesting finds for August. In terms of travel this month, I’m really excited to be heading back to my favorite place on earth – Nantucket Island – at the end of the month for Labor Day Weekend!