For Christmas this year my family decided to head to our house in Vermont for a truly White Christmas! My family bought the Vermont house when I first started college and have slowly been renovating and refurbishing it into our own. This year we even had a vegetable garden for the first time!
Now that I’m in DC, I unfortunately don’t get to visit as often as I would like. When I was in college in New York, we’d go to VT on my winter and summer breaks. As a kid and teenager living in Connecticut, we rented apartments on Stratton Mountain nearly every winter school vacation. This was where I developed my love of skiing!
New England is honestly such a beautiful place to visit year-round, but there’s something extra magical about autumn and winter here. Vermont’s rolling hills come alive with color, and then are blanketed with peaceful snow as far as the eyes can see. Coming back to this place always gives me a sense of security and calm. I’m happy to share my experience in Vermont with you all!
Where to Eat:
I’ve included restaurants at the base of Stratton mountain, in the nearby town of Winhall, and the larger town Manchester. I’ve been to every single place (excluding Mistral’s which is on my “must go to” list) and LOVED it!
- Red Fox Inn (New England fare in a refurbished barn)
- Garlic John’s (comfort Italian food)
- Equinox (The Marsh Tavern – upscale hearty New England food with to-die-for onion soup)
- Ye Olde Tavern (New England Colonial food in a historic landmark)
- Chanticleer (upscale French)
- The Other Woman/ The Perfect Wife (bar and accompanying restaurant)
- Verde (upscale Mediterranean)
- Mistral’s (upscale American)
Just a few pics of the delicious fare found at The Marsh Tavern
Where to Stay:
- Ober Tal – Before my family bought a house, we used to stay here. You can ski right onto the mountain from your condo!
- Red Fox Inn (see the restaurant – I’ve never stayed at the Inn, but the family is absolutely wonderful!)
- Equinox Resort – a more romantic and upscale stay, but absolutely beautiful.
- Units at the base of Stratton – you really can’t go wrong with any nearby townhouses or apartments available to rent at the base of the mountain.
What to Do:
- Northshire Bookstore
- Outlets in Manchester (J Crew, Brooks Brothers, Loft,
- Cooking Store
- Equinox Spa
- Joy (Lingerie and sleepwear)
What I wore:
Overall, Vermont is a casual attire kind of place, so I stuck to graphic sweatshirts, cozy sweaters, bright jackets, and statement hats.
I hope this helps you if you’re planning a trip to the Northeast or we’re looking for inspiration a wintry vacation spot!