Now that the Holiday Season is starting up across the country, here’s a rundown of my top fun, seasonal things to do in DC this winter. I’ll continue to add to it as new events pop up, but I’ve broken it down into my favorite outdoor and indoor activities, as well as upcoming concerts. Washington, DC during the holidays is so much fun – I feel like the whole city gets decked out in garlands and bows!
- The Downtown Holiday Market runs from November 23–December 23
- Visit the National Christmas Tree (lighting on November 28)
- Must-visit Ice Rinks: Washington Harbor, National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden, and Top of the Gate at the Watergate Hotel
- Stroll through Georgetown GLOW – the region’s only outdoor curated light exhibit, with light art from both local and international artists. Runs from December 1 to January 6.
- Spend an evening at the Smithsonian National Zoo’s ZooLights – running from November 23 to January 1
- Santa Bar Crawl – December 8
- City Center – Holiday Tree Lighting and festival is on November 24
- DuPont Circle Holiday Pop Up on December 1
- Historic Alexandria Candlelight Tours – December 8
My look for last year’s European Holiday Ball at the French Embassy.
- Norwegian Christmas Fair – November 9-10
- United States Botanical Gardens Concert Series – concerts performed by various local groups every Tuesday and Thursday from December 4-27 (a free event!)
- Embassy Events – European Holiday Ball at the French Embassy (December 8), the Winternational Embassy Showcase (December 6), Holiday Kickoff Celebration at the Bulgarian Embassy (November 28), and the Winter Reception at the Embassy of France (January 18)
- Madison and Mistletoe: A Gatsby Affair party – December 8
- Drink Company PUB – November through December my favorite Pop Up Bar is back for the holiday season – great drinks and delightful surroundings are sure to bring in the holiday cheer! I’ll post more information once they release their holiday theme for this year.
- Artechouse – the latest interactive exhibit, New Nature, runs through January 2019! What’s better than art and cool AI drinks?
- Passport Program – explore new coffee shops, restaurants, and bars with this buy-one-get-one-free drink passport that runs from November to April.
- New Years Eve: The Gatsby Masquerade Gala or the Mellon Gala
- The Warner Theater: The Washington Ballet’s The Nutcracker running from November 29 to December 28 and A Drag Queen Christmas on November 18
- The Kennedy Center: Washington National Opera performs Silent Night from November 10-25 and the Washington National Chorus performs A Candlelight Christmas from December 7-22
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra will host a Christmas Eve show at Capitol One Arena
If you’re living in Washington, DC or plan to visit sometime over the next few months, I hope this gives you a cohesive list of things to do. Enjoy and stay tuned for more updates in the coming weeks!