I don’t know about you all, but being stuck at home and only having access to limited travel for the past two years has left me with a bad case of wanderlust! As states are now basically fully reopened (and since I’m fully vaxxed and boosted), I’ve started planning out a few fun US-based trips to take!
The cities on this list are also located in states I’ve never been to. My goal pre-covid was to travel to at least three new states each year (with the goal of getting to all the US states over the next decade or so – I’ve already been to 23 so far) and I was on a roll in 2018 and 2019!
Being in shutdown has definitely fueled my wanderlust and made me want to explore this beautiful country even more, so here’s a list of the cities at the top of my must-visit list to travel to as soon as possible:
- New Orleans, LA – the music, the food, the architecture – I’ve been wanting to visit for a while and hope to get there within the next year. I think this would be such a fun girl’s trip to take with my besties!
- Nashville, TN – I would absolutely love strolling the streets of Nashville, soaking up the culture and maybe listening to some up-and-coming musicians.
- San Antonio, TX – I’ve heard amazing things about the art scene in this city! While I definitely also want to visit Dallas, Austin, and Houston, this creative city has a special place in my heart.
- Salt Lake City, UT – I’ve heard this city is beautiful all year round, but as an avid skier I definitely want to visit during the winter or early spring so I can take advantage of the beautiful natural scenery and ski slopes!
- Anchorage, AK – nature meets humanity in this city! I’d definitely go during the warmer months, but would love to go on wildlife hikes and boat rides to really embrace the majesty of the wilderness found in this state.
- Santa Fe, NM – I would love to visit this magical, artistic space and visit all the local artisans and museums, eat amazing food, and relax taking in the beautiful scenery. After visiting Sedona, AZ a few years back I knew I had to put Santa Fe on my list!
- Las Vegas, NV – while I’m not a gambler or a fan of casinos, I would love to go to a spectacular Vegas show one night (maybe Lady Gaga??), and spend my days visiting museums, seeing the Seven Magic Mountains, and relaxing by the pool.
- Raleigh, NC – I’ve hear wonderful things about the vibrant food scene and historic buildings located in this city. It’s definitely a place I want to both research more about and eventually visit.
- Yellowstone Country, Montana – I’d always heard wonderful things about Montana’s natural beauty and scenic drives, but it was only after attending a Montana tourism event in DC that I really learned more about what this state has to offer! While not a city, Yellowstone Country has so much beautiful nature, breweries, and concert venues that there’s always something fun to do! I’d honestly like to visit in the “off season” of late spring/summer.
- St. Louis, MO – besides seeing the iconic Gateway Arch, I’d love to visit the National Blues Museum and check out the local food scene!
Please let me know if you’ve ever been to any of these cities and leave recommendations in the comments!