Since we’re still social distancing this summer, or at least limited in our activities for the season, I want to share some fun and creative ways to pass the time and engage with friends while still staying safe. Depending on your comfort level, location, or state regulations, you may have more flexibility on what you do or who you can do it with, so I’ve included options for solo fun or virtual interactions with loved ones!
Solo or Isolated Activities:
- Learn to crochet, knit, or needlepoint (Carly has a great needlepoint for beginners post)
- Read a book you’ve been meaning to dive into (My suggestions are Beach Reach, No Filter, Mexican Gothic, and Midnight Sun)
- Watch a documentary about a completely new topic – Disclosure on Netflix is my latest watch
- Perfect a signature cocktail recipe
- Work on a puzzle (also can be done with roommates or family)
- Have a virtual movie night via Netflix Party with your friends so you can all start and stop at the same time
- Watch a full series with your friends via Netflix Party (a fun challenge and lets you keep consistent social plans)
- Make flavored popsicles (here are over 40 recipes for every palette!)
- Reorganize or redecorate one room in your house/apartment
- If you have an outdoor space, set up a hammock to relax in
- Start a small herb garden – even if it’s only two or three pots – I’d recommend basil, rosemary, parsley, and cilantro for a great smelling garden filled with herbs that are commonly used in tons of recipes!
Small Group Activities:
- Have an outdoor movie night by projecting onto a sheet and everyone can bring their own food and stay on separate blankets
- Play card games with your roommates, family, or friends
- Have a themed picnic – your theme could be 1920s, Grease, Disney Princesses, Villains and Monsters, Murder Mystery or something else – where you and your friends each bring your own dishes (themed or normal food)
- Drive to a getaway house for a weekend retreat
- Do tarot readings for yourself and your friends
- If you have any friends or family members nearby with a pool or lake/beach house, see if you can have a private water day to beat the heat!
I hope this post offers you some ideas for how to continue to stay entertained while being safe this summer. Let me know if you have any fun ways to pass the time while social distancing!